Saturday, January 19, 2013

Here goes blogging!

So let me start by saying after reading these two chapters I feel like I do at the mall.... old and outdated!! With that being said, back to chapters 1 and 2!  Richardson believes that teachers should consider using blogs as a technological tool in the classroom.  For a first time blogger this is really scary! But good news is that blogs are easily created, updated and can be collaborative! Something even better about blogging is that it supports NET standards and Common Core Standards....wohoo!

Suggestion:start small!  You might want start a class blog to post class related information, post assignments, communicate with parents and provide examples of classwork.  Or you may want to use a blog as a way to reflect on your teaching experience,and share ideas among fellow educators.  Dean Shareski's blog Learning Stuff is a great example of how and why teachers can use blogs.

 One of my biggest fears as a teacher is taking my students to the computer lab because with my luck something extremely inappropriate may happen.  How in the world would I explain this to parents and my administrator!? Lucky for me, in chapter 1 Richardson provides some ideas for internet safety.  He suggests that teachers plan and visit the websites  or creating a web tour for students (so my fear does not happen).  For teachers of younger students it is really important that we teach appropriate us of the internet and we can do this by modeling for our students.  How do you keep your students safe on the internet?


No comments:

Post a Comment